Friday, October 29, 2010

Living in the Land of the Crazies.....


I guess those of you that are in the good 'ol USA (is it that anymore?) can relate to living in this crazy land during the last couple of months, right? I am so ready for all this election nonsense to be over..... Yes I know it's a civic duty and a privilege and all that (I voted the first day of Early Voting so this is just me complaining), but you can't turn on the radio, the TV or drive down the street without being bombarded by candidates.... OMG!!!!! All that money being wasted on terrible ads- and they ARE terrible! Maybe in other places it's not as bad as here where the world has decided to come watch the circus unfolding before our very eyes..... It's so sad to have to choose the least worst instead of the most capable person, but such is life I guess......

Good thing is that with all the school details coming to a head that's pretty much all I have time for. Just getting everything done on time, all the paperwork needed to get registered at school, transcripts obtained (what's that "must be in a sealed envelope and no one can see inside" business, that's crazy!), registering for Federal, State, local financial assistance and ALL the forms this entails, being confessed of everything in the world on details you don't even tell your close relatives, which drives me up the wall..... schedules, uniforms, equipment, travel times, more expenses, more debt.... AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!! it's enough to make one insane (luckily we've already achieved this so we can skip a step.....) and just thinking about the student loans that will be left, waiting to pounce once we've graduated..... OMG!

But under the present state of affairs it seemed like a good idea to go back to school, after all, how much getting up late and lolling around the house can you take? Unless cleaning and watching the tube is your thing, something had to give and school was it. Gives me nightmares actually just thinking about having to pay off student loans later, but like Scarlett famously said: "I'll think about that tomorrow...", a good idea if I could just train my mind to stop thinking about it. First off will be just trying to get back into the routine of long days on my feet since most of my classes, except for the general education ones that is, will be standing up and "doing". I remember when I opened my last restaurant after having an office job for a while- it was murder! Everything hurt and I ended up with the neighbor who was a "quackerpracter" because I couldn't even straighten up...... Ah, the memories of tortures past that I have to look forward to.

Anyway, nothing to be done but "just do it", get down and get it done. Sooner or later one gets used to anything and we will get used to this too, just a matter of habit. It will do good to get back "into it" and be productive for a change. I kept waiting for the "situation" to change and improve but nothing was moving and only seemed to be getting worse and sitting around was no longer an option so I thought I might as well. Rene decided to come along and so I'll have him as company on our new adventure, and what an adventure it will be. Goody!

So for now everything is done and we're all set. Not used to the routine yet or the hours, but no sense thinking about that, it will come after all, in time. I'm excited about a new adventure and I hope once we're done that we will not only find satisfactory employment but a whole new challenge as well. Plus if you think about it we'll be getting a truly mobile education that we can use anywhere in the world where food is served. I like the thought of not being hemmed in to any geographical area and being able to go anywhere.... nice.

Of course I also think that what am I doing gearing up for a whole new adventure at a time when most people are gearing down, but I figure "use it or loose it" so it should be good to keep active and always learning and practicing stuff I like to do anyway. Besides, I've been in the food business for many, many years (more than I care to admit to) and this will only refresh and hone my skills plus give me formal acknowledgment of my years "out in the field" and lastly I figure, it can't hurt, so why not, eh?

Even if I won't have as much time as before to sit and write, I expect to be able to continue my journal as time goes by and keep you up to date as to our progress in the wonderful world of all things culinary. Don't forget to stop by and check in and see what we're up to. It promises to be a most satisfying journey.....

Happy Halloween to everyone. Feliz Dia de los Muertos, Feliz Dia de Todos Los Santos, Happy Election Day and anything else I've forgotten to include..... Fall is here along with the lovely cooler weather (Yay!!!!!! Finally the heat is gone!) and sooner rather than later we will be planning Thanksgiving and Xmas...... My best wishes to all of you, we'll talk soon......

No comments:

Post a Comment